Monday, September 24, 2012

Stockholm - a grand city

Stockholm is one of the finest capitals of Europe. Very statuesque and royal. And on a sunny day, it is really glorious to see the beautiful buildings surrounded by water bathed in the glow of the sun.

Stockholm is also one of those cities which conjures up a lot of images in your mind before you visit. I was certainly not disappointed on the 2 occasions I was lucky to visit.

There is much to see and do in Stockholm, so plan your visit carefully. It is located on 14 islands but unlike Bombay, they did not reclaim land. Instead they chose to connect the islands with bridges. The city originally rose to prominence as a result of the Baltic trade of the Hanseatic League. Stockholm developed strong economic and cultural linkages with Lübeck, Hamburg, Gdańsk, Visby, Reval, and Riga.

Gamla Stan is the old town which dates back to the 13th century and is located on the central island. It is home to the Palace where the King has his offices, the Nobel Museum, the Stockholm Cathedral and the Riddarholm church.

The City Hall is a very impressive building and it is where the dinner for the Nobel Laureates is held.

The Vasa museum and Skansen open air museums are also must sees. Am going to check them out in December when I visit.

Walking on the rooftops is another unique activity that I did not have the chance to do and doubt very much if I can do it in winter.

However am pleased just to walk around this beautiful city and soak in the vibes or take a cruise in the gorgeous archipelago. I look forward to my next visit in December.

The view from the City Hall


The City Hall

Hanseatic architecture

The Nobel Museum

The Dala Horse (Dalecarlian horse) is a symbol of Sweden



The Royal Palace



You must cruise in the archipelago and appreciate Stockholm from the water 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)