Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A hot air balloon ride

For long it has been my wish to ride in a hot air balloon. I guessed it must be less risky than sky diving (which I did in New Zealand some years ago) and better than flying in a tiny aircraft (which I did in Peru to see the Inca lines). But nothing prepared me for the magic that I was about to experience.

A hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia is a "must do", given the unique landscape and it is very very popular. There are many companies offering a ride but I chose Anatolia Balloon company as they have the most experience.

I was picked up from the hotel at half past 4 by the balloon company and taken to a huge field on the outskirts of Urgup (the town that I stayed in). There were hundreds of people already waiting. The balloon company had organised hot tea, coffee and snacks for everyone as well as portable toilets which I thought was pretty thoughtful. So whilst we filled our stomachs, the crew went round preparing the balloons for flight. It was quite a sight to see these huge canvases start to fill with gas and glow in the darkness of the night.

Soon it was time to get into our individual balloons. There must have been about 16 people per balloon. One had to climb into the basket and each basket had 4 sections with the Pilot and his gear in the centre. I was wondering what my mother would have done if she had been there cos she definitely would not have been able to climb into the basket. Which would have been a pity to miss something so beautiful!

Then the pilot gave us instructions on the landing and how we should crouch to the floor and lean forward whilst holding on to the handles provided. Finally it was time to lift off. Oh, what a sight to see tens of balloons of various colours take off. We gently lifted off and rose to a decent height before floating over the magical landscape of unique volcanic rock formations. Witnessing the sunrise was the highlight which I will remember for a long long time to come.

Post the safe landing, we popped the bubbly and shared experiences!
 











Popping the bubbly!




6 comments:

  1. The feeling of complete adventure and charm while a hot balloon ride. I also wish to have my own experience of hot air ballooning. Thanks for providing these information.

    Hot Air Balloon Ride

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post with information regarding use! The ways you have illustrated the information is impressive. Thanks!
    Yebhi promotion | Yebhi offers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of these pics qualify to enter a photography contest. The ones with perspective shots Welldone.

    ReplyDelete

I do hope you have enjoyed what I have shared and will take the time to write back to me. I would really like to hear your thoughts, views, opinions about my blog posts. Sharing is caring. :)